12 June 2008

two more sleeps, if I'm lucky

When CD is away, I help Oliver keep track of when Daddy returns by saying, "x sleeps before Daddy comes home." For example, it's Thursday and CD comes back Saturday. Two more sleeps. I have been doing it for a while now, at least a year, but never had any indication that it was helping him. When I picked him up at "summer camp" today, sleep was the hot topic, as in, "Oliver didn't take a nap today." This hasn't happened in, well, I can't remember back that far. He always takes an afternoon nap. It's usually at least 90 minutes too. He's a champion napper. The teachers also told me Oliver was talking about how many sleeps until Daddy comes home. I guess it really is useful to him.

No matter how hard I try, I never get to bed early when CD is away. I think I will. I plan for it. And when it comes to execution I fail. Miserably. I have not had more than five hours of sleep any night since he left for Madison. About the time I have to go fetch Oliver I am soooo ready for a nap. It's a struggle to stay awake through dinner, playtime, and getting both of them into bed. I hope CD takes Father's day to heart and decides he wants to spend the day being a full-on dad. I'll be taking a nap.

No comments: