11 June 2008

two great tastes that taste great together

The depths of my love for bacon has been amply expressed here, but perhaps I have been negligent regarding my admiration for cheese. I will attempt to remedy that now.

We eat a lot of cheese. There are the usual suspects, like pizza and pasta with a little parmesan. CD got me hooked on the stinky blue stuff, especially really good stilton. Whole Foods had some of my favorite today, from Burough Market. And with CD at WWDC, I get it all to myself. Lately he's been scarfing it down without sharing. 

Then there is my love for mac and cheese. I love making it almost as much as I love eating it. I'll eat the stuff that comes in a blue box and is a color not found in nature and enjoy it as much as the homemade stuff made with Gruyere and topped with breadcrumbs. My arteries slam shut just thinking about it, but what a way to go.

If you want to really make my heart sing, add some bacon. When I was growing up, my mom would occasionally spruce up the mac and cheese with slices of hot dog. We were not particularly adventurous in our cuisine back then. I don't think I saw garlic in the house until I was in college.

As the tv chef I would most like to eat with, Ina Garten, says, this is mac and cheese for grownups. Another Food Network person has a version too, but I'm still trying to pretend she doesn't exist.

2 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

I don't eat dead creatures, buy a friend of mine just made mac -n- cheese using the Sargento's cheddar with bacon cheese. Everybody thought it was super-yummy. I'll stick to my spicy version, but the bacon version is a pretty good twist.

Burgh Baby said...

"BuT," not "buy." My editing skills are CRAP today.