18 March 2008

we don't need no stinkin' naps

Oliver had a slight temp when I picked him up at school yesterday. He had a cough and sniffles too. By bedtime, though he was acting normally his temp was 102.1. I kept him home today, though the temp was gone and he just had the cough and runny nose (which was clear). We had a good morning, including a brief outing to REI to pick up some shoes I ordered for Oliver. [We are really boring about shoes for him. This is the fourth pair of the same style. I just get the next size when they start to get snug. Booooring...but he likes them, we like them, and they wear well. This was probably the cheapest purchase, thanks to REI's 20% off member sale.]

It was the afternoon when things went to hell. Oliver refused to nap. at. all. He always naps. On weekends when he's home he sleeps 2 or 2 1/2 hours. This is the first time he's not napped in, well, never. 2 years, at least. To make matters worse, he woke Eleanor so her nap was abbreviated. She's shifting towards one nap a day but isn't quite there yet. She's also finally moving towards fewer nursing sessions, but that's a topic for another day.

Not a fun afternoon for any of us. I tried to get them to bed early and mostly succeeded. Eleanor was down by 7:15pm, with Oliver soon thereafter, but he's been restless, despite finally giving him some motrin and putting the vapor plug in his room. I hope he gets some solid rest and is well enough for school tomorrow. Otherwise, I may be reminded yet again of why some species eat their young.

1 comment:

Burgh Baby said...

I hear ya'. Just last night I was thinking how tasty a little toddler meat might be over some long-grain rice.