08 March 2008

one adventure after another

I'd like to say the day was one adventure after another but that's only true if you're used to staying at home with a baby most of the day, with the occasional excursion to Trader Joe's or Target. 

It all started when I put on makeup (!) and headed out to the bus. (One makeup note, probably the only one you will ever see on this blog: Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is truly amazing stuff. I picked up a small sample tube a few weeks ago, though I only wear makeup once or twice a year. It's green, and pretty odd looking, but it does its job exceedingly well.) I waited at the bus stop in some very cold drizzle for quite a while, as I slowly realized there aren't many buses running on Saturday. Just as I was about to give up and beg CD to load up the kids and drive me to pick up my rental car, the bus arrived.

A few minutes later I was getting in a ZipCar for the first time. Once I got over the fact that my butt felt like it riding on the ground, it was pretty good. I filled it with gas, at their expense, and was on my way to the meeting.

I really didn't know what to expect at the meeting. I definitely was not expecting there to be 600 people there, and I didn't know ANY of them. I had spoken with one person on the phone before I was asked to be on the board of directors, but that was it. On my way back from coat check, where I also pump-checked, I stumbled on some tables with name tags and mine was one of them. At least I had an assigned seat!

It was an inspiring meeting. There is clearly a lot of energy and excitement about the future, and I'm now officially a part of it. It's also very strange because I know none of the history, politics, or personalities. In my last year on another board I was the primary source of institutional memory. In this case, I feel like I am blindfolded, have one arm tied behind my back, and I don't know the secret handshake. I'm sure that will all be remedied in June when board training and meetings start. The adventure is just beginning there.

The drive home was icky. Snowy, icy, foggy, all in a car I wasn't used to driving and made me feel far too low to the ground. It was slow going but I got home without incident, which is more than I can say for the guy I saw in the highway median, aimed in the wrong direction!

CD seems to have survived his longest stint with both kids. I usually escape only to run to the grocery store and one of them is usually asleep. He even got them to Music Together, quite a challenge with two, especially since Eleanor would rather be napping when it's time to go. It's only fair though. He's leaving tomorrow for yet another geek-fest.

No comments: