04 November 2006

cauliflower cheese

I know no one cares what I had for lunch, which was here and lovely, but how about dinner? About once or twice a year CD suggests I make something he calls "cauliflower cheese". He doesn't elaborate and I have generally ignored him. Since he's leaving tomorrow for yet another week with geeks, I decided to indulge, though I really had no idea what I was signing up for. But hey, we had a nice cauliflower from the weekly CSA haul so I was feeling game.

I found a few recipes thanks to Google, but settled on two, here and here. Simple enough. I used panko breadcrumbs and pre-shredded cheese (will do better on that next time). Had to crank up the broiler to get it brown but it was nice. Crunchy cheesy bits are always a good thing. I may have to add this to my repertoire.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Cauliflower cheese is something they're always eating in British novels. Your version sounds delicious with the panko. I'm always extolling the virtues of panko but aside from Leland I haven't really gotten anyone else as excited about them as I am. I think they are a real revolution in the bread crumb world.

Unknown said...

Had the cauliflower cheese last night (the one that only required broiling, not 20 minutes in the oven, as I had chicken to bake as well and only one oven, alas). Yum! Thanks for the tip - we'll be adding it to my big-G-doesn't-like-potatoes side-dish repertoire.