22 November 2008

shortbread hearts

I heart Ina Garten. A very funny someone was asking yesterday that her readers fess up to a girl crush. Nevermind Beyonce. Ina might be it for me. She never steers me wrong. As much as I enjoyed meeting Sara Foster last summer, I'd willingly give a kidney to cook with Ina.

Ina claims the recipe makes 24 heart cookies. (She also made these in a breakfast show...another reason to lurve her.) I made a double batch and got 90, but I rolled the dough thinner than she says and used a smaller cookie cutter. I also dipped one half of some of the hearts in chocolate. The chocolate wasn't setting up properly so I put the cookies in the fridge. They stopped being shiny though. I'm sure I missed a step with the chocolate, but I was improvising.  No one complained at the BurghMom's cookie swap.

Though Paula Deen takes all the heat on Food Network for her liberal use of butter, these babies take three quarters of a pound per batch. And they're worth every bit.

Now I'm going to go put the cookie swap spoils into the freezer, before a total cookie coma sets in.

4 comments:

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

Oh yeah, they ROCK!

Thanks Kim.

...and Ina!

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

Oh, and they are (err...were) BEAUTIFUL.

rebelliousflaw said...

They were soooooooooo yummy!

Uh...was I supposed to pay attention to how they looked first? Sorry... :-)

Jennifer said...

It was nice to meet you yesterday! The heart cookies are so yummy...I am keeping them all for myself!

The new Jennifer