09 August 2008

of olympic proportion

I realized today this is the first summer olympics for my kids. They won't remember, of course, just like I don't remember much before the winter olympics in Lake Placid in 1980. I always watch the Olympics. Always. My first summer out of college, 1988, was the Seoul games. I was living alone in my first apartment, and pretty determined to NOT have a tv. I made it through both the republican and democratic national conventions with just a radio. Then the Olympics were starting. I think it was an hour before the opening ceremonies that I succumbed to the lure and bought a tv.

Oliver watched a little women's basketball, a little beach volleyball, and a little soccer today. All things being equal, he'd rather watch or play baseball. Maybe four years from now the story will be different. The summer games will be in London and we have family a short train ride south. Kids will be 7 and 5, so there's hope for it being a memorable experience. Maybe I should warn the family we're coming. (Hi Laura! Tell your mum!) I should also start trying to get CD on board with this plan since it needs to be his idea or it won't happen. (harrumph)

All things being equal, I'd rather go to the winter games. Figure skating tops my list, since skiing is better to watch on tv. Back in the day, when they started planning the Salt Lake City games, I was living in Walla Walla, WA and had every intention of going. Then I moved to Pittsburgh before they happened. I wish I could say that had no bearing on my decision to move but it was a (very small) factor, as I went back and forth trying to decide whether to make the move or not. Ultimately, I'd say I made the right choice.

No comments: