04 April 2008

can't live without, the breastfeeding edition

I was putting together a list of things I can't live without while breastfeeding for the daughter of a friend. She is a brand new mom of less than a week. I realized I should post it here too. As I see the end of my breastfeeding days coming, I need to do this before I forget everything. 

Eleanor is down to nursing 3 times a day, and she is drinking whole milk cold out of a cup. I mixed with frozen breast milk for a couple of cups but quickly discovered she didn't care. I would venture to guess she will drop the midday feeding without protest. I am not as sure about the first feeding of the morning and the last at night.

Yesterday I shipped out my beloved Pump In Style. It was probably best that I didn't have a lot of time to think about it. I had about 10 minutes to get it all packed up and off to Fedex. I will miss that pump and the way it talked to me sometimes, saying things like, "pizza" or "painful". If you've ever used a pump, you know what I mean. (Or is it just me that hears the voices?)

So, without further ado, the list of items I consider the must-haves for breastfeeding moms. This is what I have found to work well. Of course, your mileage may vary. [Note:  I have purchased each of these products on my own and have no relationship with the companies other than that of a satisfied customer.]

Blessed Nest pillow - I have tried Boppy and My Brest Friend but this is right one for me. I just wish I had found it sooner, like during pregnancy. It would have been great belly support at night. I also like to use it for naps and see myself using it long after breastfeeding is over.

Tough Titties nipple rub - Lansinoh is great stuff, and I use it before every show, but it stains. I have never leaked so I don't use pads. My bras, camisoles, and bed sheets were getting stained with Lansinoh. Tough Titties doesn't stain and works great. The company website is a hoot and a half and the items I ordered arrived wrapped in an unbleached disposable diaper. 

Motherwear nursing camisoles - Other nursing camisoles, like the ones I found at Target, leave you exposed as soon as you drop the flap. Not these. The openings are very discreet. In the winter, the warmth provided by wearing an extra layer is appreciated. Despite being all cotton, I find them a little warm in the summer, but they are otherwise perfect nursingwear.

Slim Lines milk trays - Unbeatable for freezing milk. Freezes it in 1 ounce sticks, that then go into freezer bags. When you just need an ounce, that's all you need to thaw. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Just don't put them in the dishwasher.

Lansinoh milk bags - Tried the rest but they are all flawed. These are just right. But if you use the milk trays, you can also use a plain old zip top freezer bag.

Medela steam bags - Terrific for sterilizing pump parts. All you need is a little water, a microwave, and 90 seconds.

No comments: