17 April 2008

bait and switch

I went to a workshop last night on how to build a rainbarrel. There were a couple of instances of bait and switch that were really disappointing. First, of the 90 minute workshop, more than 60 minutes were a lecture about water that was mostly gleaned from the presentation they give to school children. It was boring as all get out and most of the people in the room did not learn anything new. I felt like a hostage, waiting to get a couple of gutter elbows, a few couplings, and a bit of hose...that I paid $30 for.

Second, and most disappointing, many of us thought the barrel that was constructed during the last bit of the workshop was going to be given to one attendee. At least that's what it said in the flyers and on the website. The workshop leader acted stunned and said, "We did that last year but we aren't doing it anymore." Alrighty then. I guess that makes it okay.

There's 90 minutes of my life I'm not going to get back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's horrid. There are good workshops around here (Arlington VA especially). I guess we need to recognize that green is the latest fad and with it will come scams. Sigh.

But lease don't give up on the rain barrel idea.