21 April 2006

things that are like sausage

Many years ago I learned there are things that one ought not observe in process, sort of like sausage being made. My first experience with this was the first time I had movers to pack my stuff before a cross-country relocation. I lasted about five minutes before I had to leave. The control freak in me was headed rapidly over the edge. It was so much better to just leave the apartment, returning a few hours later to see all the sealed boxes, the finished product.

Having trees removed this week gave me a similar experience, except I did stick around to watch this time. I just kept telling myself that these guys knew what they were doing and were insured to the hilt. Saying these things over and over in a very calm voice seemed to help.

Today Oliver was a little bit under the weather with a fever. CD stayed home in the morning, when I expected the house cleaning crew to arrive. I was home with Oliver for the afternoon, when they actually arrived. It was deja vu all over again. I really enjoy coming home to a clean house every other Friday afternoon. Thinking too much about how that occurs (beyond writing the check) forces me to face my inner slob, when I prefer to deny she exists or that she has contagiously infected others in the house. If Oliver had not been napping we would have gone out for a walk. As it was, Penguin and I went out on the back porch. I read email and blogs to distract myself. Penguin kept half an eye on the cleaners and their very suspicious vacuum cleaner. I was confident she would let me know if there was anything I needed to see.

No comments: