23 April 2006

cold-ish turkey

The last phase of weaning has begun. Oliver went to bed without nursing (or fussing) tonight, as he did last night, though I don't entirely know about the presence or absence of fussing. CD reports he went back to sleep this morning, after refusing the cup, when he usually nurses.

I pumped a couple of times while I was away, but less than 3 ounces each time. I am hopeful this is going to be as easy for me as it seems to be for Oliver.

I will be sending my favorite Lactation Consultant a thank you note this week, with a photo of Oliver. I haven't talked to her in a few months, which is probably a good sign from her perspective.

Throughout this little adventure I always said if we got to a year of nursing, I would not cut him off on his birthday but that I hoped we would get to this place shortly after. All seems to be going according to plan. It's completely okay with me. And I'm okay with it being okay. I'm not falling apart over it, like a lot of the things I read tell me I should be. I am ecstatic to have had the good fortune, as a BFAR mom, to have been able to give him this start in life but I'm ready to move on to whatever is next, like figuring out if any of my pre-baby non-nursing bras still fit!

1 comment:

Susie said...

Congratulations on a year of nursing! That is an accomplishment to be proud of!