10 April 2006

in which we begin a reading project

In honor of his very important birthday, tomorrow night Oliver and I will start a bedtime reading project, The Complete Tales of Winnie-The-Pooh. Given his attention span, I figure we'll finish just before he learns to drive. We usually get through one short board book, such as Busy Penguins, followed by The Going To Bed Book (which I can now recite from memory...The sun has set not long ago...). He starts flipping the pages faster than I can read them aloud and I know we're almost done. The good news is that he's really getting with the whole bedtime ritual program, finally. PJs, nurse, brush teeth, book, wrap up in blanket, lights out, rock for a couple of minutes, crib, [cry], sleep. We skipped [cry] entirely last night AND tonight. I was sure last night was a fluke.

It will be interesting to see how things go with a non-board book, and one that is pretty big. Oliver can sit in my lap without being held and without falling but it's not something I usually ask him to do while we read. It may be time to break out the wooden book stand I never use. I don't have the edition linked above, but mine is pretty close. I'm guessing the dust jacket will bite the, ahem, dust quickly. More tales of reading Tales coming soon. And let's hope we finish before he's old enough for Whale's Tales.

No comments: