25 April 2006

back on the wagon

I went back to Weight Watchers today. I'm a pound heavier than when I started the last time, in the fall of 2002, and lost 29 pounds. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than when I got pregnant. I tried going back a few months ago but lunchtime nursing always got in the way (not to mention providing a convenient excuse for skipping meetings). As I contemplate a second pregnancy, I find new motivation, beyond feeling horrible, sleeping badly and looking really, really bad. I don't want Oliver remembering his Mum this way and I still have a little time.

So what's different this time? I know I can't do what I've always done. I'm a crappy journaler so that's where I have to focus my attention. I'm trying eTools, for a change. I am also a crappy exerciser, so I have asked a WW buddy to walk with me at lunchtime on days when we don't have a meeting.

As I was listening to the leader today I found myself being reminded of Leo McGarry on West Wing and the things he says about alcoholism. It may be legal to drive after eating chocolate, but that doesn't mean it is good for me, especially in excessive quanitities.

5 comments:

Maribeth said...

I just started back on Monday doing South Beach. I lost 50 pounds, but when I got to the maintenance part, I fell apart and have gained back 30 pounds. I too, am not a great exerciser, but I will try to spend more time in my garden and in the yard with the dogs.
Good luck with yor diet.

ClumberKim said...

I know lots of people who lost with South Beach, Atkins, and the like, but all of them have failed on maintenance. Weight Watchers seems to be a much more sustainable plan.

ClumberKim said...

Yes Melissa, you can do WW while nursing. You get 10 points per day added to your target. It's something to ask your doc about at your six week post-partum checkup. Your WW leader will ask if you've been cleared to start by your doctor.

Cara said...

A lousy journaler? Riiiiight. Anyone who blogs as regularly as you has to find another excuse. Let me know when someone starts a Dissertation Watcher, I'm trying to gain pages.

ClumberKim said...

This drivel is easy. Writing down EVERYTHING I eat is pain.