03 March 2006

count down to cow's milk

I'm sure this will rile all the lactivists out there but I'm counting the days until Oliver can have his first tastes of cow's milk. After nearly 11 months of breastfeeding I am about ready to call it a day. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the time Oliver and I spend nursing and after our rough start getting to a full year is an achievement I will be proud of, but I'm tired. It all boils down to exhaustion. If we decide to have another child I don't look forward to embarking on a pregnancy with this much of a sleep deficit. I'll be worthless to Oliver, CD, not to mention the player to be named later.

I know we can't go cold turkey on the milk. That wouldn't be good for either of us. Weaning will be gradual, and really started that first day Oliver tried cereal. But he's starting to show a little less interest in nursing. We're down to about four times a day, sometimes three. The mid-day nurse seems to be the one he's willing to skip. It usually takes place at school, where there are lots more interesting things to do. If he ever starts sleeping through the night, we may lose another nursing session.

I can see this will all be a fond memory, eventually. For now, it's nice to know the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight, and it is not an oncoming train.

39 days.....and counting.

2 comments:

Maribeth said...

Been there, done that! And you're right, you will look back and remember fondly this time and forget the soaking bras and the sore nipples!

ClumberKim said...

The soreness, yes, but I'm probably a bit of a freak because I never had the wet bra. I have never leaked, never needed pads.