05 March 2006

on lockdown



The babyproofer was at the house on Friday, installing all the gates, locks, latches, straps and covers. We still have some work to do, mostly involving removing things that will have to hang out in the basement for a year or five, but we are on our way to having a baby-safe house.

The gates are really impressive, sturdy and solid and not at all like the flimsy ones we have used to ensure the safe co-existence of cat and dogs. I am hoping they will work in our favor when it comes time to sell the house, since we live very near an elementary school, which draws lots of families with kids to our street. Unfortunately, Zillow doesn't have a category for babyproofing gear so we won't know for sure.

The only problem is that at least one of the adults in the house is feeling like we adult-proofed. The toilet lid lock sucks at 3am. I am convinced I'm going to break a couple of the cabinet latches before I get used to everything being on lockdown. I am seeing just how many operations I do on complete auto-pilot. Hire a babyproofer if you really want to rock your world.

This photo is of the kitchen gate. If you look closely you'll see the knob cover on the door to the basement. We are hoping Oliver doesn't try to investigate the cat flap.

4 comments:

ClumberKim said...

Melissa, After our monstrous vet bills we cut back on what the babyproofer recommended by one gate (we can always add it later) and opted to do some of the installations ourselves. I am just glad we could take advantage of her expertise and it didn't take us multiple trips to the store and lots of trial and error to get this done.

You don't have much time before Spuds' arrival. Make someone else do it and go put your feet up!

Maribeth said...

OMG! I looked around my house and thought, a kid could do serious damage in here! Glad those days are behind me. That is until I become a Granny!

Pinterest Failures said...

I thought about the toilet locks, but Genna eats the toilet paper like apples, so we just close the doors to our bathrooms. We didn't have to do either of those things with our frist daughter. They are all different, I guess.

ClumberKim said...

The dogs are a problem with the toilet paper. Penguin thinks it's a tasty snack.