11 June 2006

world cup dilemmas

The World Cup presents a few dilemmas, and not just of the "which country do we root for?" variety. That's easy, unless the US and England face each other, which isn't possible for a few weeks.

No, we have more fundamental problems, like what to do when the Tour de France gets underway. Remember, we STILL don't have TiVO or any of the alternative services. This could be just the thing that pushes us over the edge.

And at the risk of sounding hopelessly American, I have always found this brand of football a little bit boring. Golf, to me, has been more fun and exciting to watch. Then today, as I watched Trinidad and Tobago, the smallest country ever to qualify for a World Cup, take on Sweden, the favorite to win it all, I found myself getting entirely sucked in to a nil-nil draw. We went out before the match ended and I couldn't wait to get home to find out what happened. I hardly browsed at Target....something was clearly wrong. I may be hooked (just in time to fulfill my future as a soccer mom) and that is going to present a problem once the Tour starts.

I don't remember seeing any of the last World Cup, but I have one vivid memory of 1998. It was the first time I ever heard CD swear. England wasn't doing well, obviously. Come to think of it, that may be the ONLY time I've heard him swear. Let's hope Oliver follows in Daddy's footsteps, not his potty-mouthed mum's!

No comments: