18 June 2006

father's day

On this Father's Day, I am reminded that Oliver is growing up without his grandfathers. One of the perils of having older parents, I suppose. He looks a little bit like my dad, who passed away in 1982. And he will probably be a bit like CD's dad, since many on his side of the family say CD is nearly a clone of his father. He does have a step-grandfather who adores him but it isn't the same somehow.


He does have a dad though, and one who is a pretty terrific parent, despite having no prior experience with babies. I knew CD would be good, as he is with everything when properly motivated, but he has surprised me over and over during the last 14 months. I underestimated him and for that I have to apologise. As far as I can tell, he's flying on (really good) instincts but where it comes from really doesn't matter. He's good. Really good. I consult books, blogs and any other resource I can find and still feel like I haven't got a clue.

So to CD, I say, "Well done." And "We love you. Enjoy the Crunchie bars."

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

These are great pictures of CD and Oliver. I really love the xylophone picture (because I'm a band director)!