03 June 2006

bathroom master

I'm trying to contain my excitement but it isn't working very well. CD is almost finished with the master bathroom renovation. This bathroom has not been used since we moved into our house over 2 years ago. (Okay, I barfed in it once, but that doesn't count.) We started the renovation just before Oliver was born. The room is all of 4 feet by 5 feet, not counting the shower...how hard could it be, right?

A few weeks after Oliver arrived we had professionals put in a one-piece shower. Since then, CD has removed the toilet and sink, and painstakingly replaced the old tile on the walls and floor. Unfortunately, he's never tiled before and he's a perfectionist. So we've had a beautiful new shower for over a year, and no showers have yet taken place in it.

Today, CD put in the new toilet (with it's slow-close lid that I didn't know I had ordered...a very nice surprise), sink and vanity. All that remains is to add the elbow joint to the sink, the doors to the vanity, and some towel bars and hooks. It will be done tomorrow!! Not entirely done...there's one little piece of wall that isn't tiled, pending the hiring of an electrician to run a circuit for the wall-mounted heated towel rail, which we haven't bought yet...minor detail. But still, I expect to take a shower, use the potty, and brush my teeth in that bathroom tomorrow.

My contribution to the project has consisted of helping choose the components and ordering the toilet. In other words, not much. Oh wait. I did choose the yellow rubber duck at the home show with my 8 month pregnant fingers, thus giving us a discount on getting the shower installed, but it's really been all CD. He may be a geek, but you really want a perfectionist installing your tile. As usual, the project required one or two new power tools, including a wet saw.

Come back to see the pictures.

No comments: