15 July 2006

miserable

Miserable is the only word to describe how Oliver is feeling today. He was up multiple times in the night. I checked his temp at 4am and found it to be a little over 100. When I got up for the morning I remembered a notice on the door at Oliver's school, saying that one of his classmates had hand, foot and mouth disease (hfmd). I didn't read it. There were multiple cases of impetigo a week or so ago, which we managed to escape. I should have known we would not be so lucky this time around.

I went to the trusty internet and read up on hfmd. So far, Oliver has some, but not all, of the symptoms. He has the fever, general malaise, and lack of appetite. I can see some very small lesions in his mouth, though there are more of them and they are smaller than the ones I saw pictured on the various sites I consulted. Nothing on his hands or feet yet, so my "diagnosis" could be wrong. I earned the same medical degree as my mom upon giving birth....

He's been up three times since going to bed two hours ago. I have a feeling we're in for a long night. This thing should resolve itself in 7-10 days. Fun.

No comments: