16 July 2006

fountains of drool

So Oliver's fever is gone but he's still pretty miserable. It was a better day than yesterday, but only marginally. I think the bumps in his mouth, and probably near his throat too, are hurting. Due to excessive drooling, I put a dry bib on him every half hour nearly all day. We still suspect HFMD, but he has no spots on his hands or feet. Right before putting him to bed I found red spots on the back of his thighs, edging into the diaper area, but not in the usual places for HFMD. Looks like a trip to the doc tomorrow is in order.

Getting food or liquids into him was a major challenge. He seems to be happy with applesauce and cereal, and not much else. At one point I had five cups with different liquids in them. He threw all of them at me.

Sleep is also a challenge. I finally figured out that he isn't sucking his thumb and is thus completely unable to find any comfort. I hope this doesn't last too much longer. The only upside is maybe he will not go back to the thumb when his mouth feels better. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

If you thought of Fountains of Wayne when you saw the title of this post, good for you! That was the idea. I went to college with two of them (Chris Collingwood and Adam Schlesinger), though they were a year or two behind me. They were great even then, when they were playing at college parties for the drunken masses. They were not called Fountains of Wayne then. And I'd probably have to get drunk to remember what they were called.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I hope your little guy gets to feeling better soon! It's so hard when they are sick and can't tell us what hurts.

Matt said...

FWIW, HFMD is going around our area, too -- six cases at Duncan's school. I now am going to go ballistic again the next time I see one of the kids get changed without Mommy doing a hand-wash at the end of it (and getting junior to do so as well).

Fountains of Drool came before Fountains of Wayne, btw. I had no idea FoW were such old farts, though, they are somewhat less cool now, somehow.