02 July 2006

leaps and bounds (and words and signs)

music with uncle jimmyoliver and daddy
wearing red for Englandstacking
I realized this afternoon that Oliver has made a number of significant advances in the last few days, both mental and physical. If I ask him to go find a particular book from his bin o' books, 9 times out of 10 he fetches the right one. He has learned the sign for "more" (and his mum learned to interpret his sign for "done", one that he created on his own). It's no longer a struggle to get him to sit down if he's having a drink or quick snack outside of the high chair. This seems to have happened when he figured out the "more" sign and I started to comply quickly. He says "all done", though I don't think he has any idea it's a two-word phrase. Another new word is "duck". [I discovered that his ways of saying "dad" and "dog" are remarkably similar. So much so that I think his first official word was really "dog", not "dad". This has nothing to do with his still not saying "mum" with any consistency. (he says it, but there's no indication that he means me) I'm not bitter, honest....]

On the physical side, he has figured out how to get off mum and dad's bed, and the living room sofa, all by himself and without landing on his head. He is also very close to successfully coming down the stairs on his own, also without landing on his head.

I know there are more developments to write about but this "little" cold that's been kicking my ass for a full seven days now is really taking its toll. Oliver has a drippy nose and some sneezing but remains in generally good spirits. I feel like crap. Like an idiot, I gave my staff the day off tomorrow so I will be holding down the fort, along with my intrepid work-study student. At least it should be quiet. CD and Oliver will be enjoying the day together at home, complete with classical music immersion, no doubt.

No comments: