18 October 2007

half a year

Eleanor was six months old on Tuesday. She's tipping the scales at 19 pounds now, and my back and neck are really feeling it. We've been trying to go for a good walk every day since I am back on the Weight Watchers wagon, and I am remembering why I had to stop carrying Oliver in the Baby Bjorn when he got much past 20 pounds. But with Oliver, 21 pounds was on day 272. What Eleanor weighs now, on day 185, Oliver got to on day 216. Not that we're comparing....

In any case, I bought an Ergo carrier today. I tried it on, with Eleanor, all the while worried she would hurl all over the store sample. She didn't. (Hit the bib instead! Woo hoo!) The relief was almost instantaneous. The weight was on my hips instead of my neck. Once I get better at fastening all the buckles and straps I know I am going to like it a lot. Thanks for the recommendation, Tamara!!

So, more about the six month milestone. She's still a very easy baby, taking good naps and sleeping well at night, and being generally good-natured the rest of the time. She loves solid foods and hasn't rejected anything. She makes a face when I give her yogurt so that's off the menu for a while, but she is happy to eat everything else we have tried and complains when the bowl is empty. I'm struggling with trying to find a good time to add a second meal of solids. I have tried a couple of times but she has returned a fair bit of the meal shortly thereafter. Mostly, she just wants to sleep in the mornings. Further proof that she is her father's daughter.

Eleanor is not yet sitting up without support but she is trying to crawl, giving us more good reason to stop comparing her to Oliver. He was sitting up but didn't crawl until sometime in December. I doubt we will see actual locomotion from her for a while, though she's rolling in both directions now.

She has learned her name too. And perhaps the most astounding bit in my mind, we've been breastfeeding for six months now and not a bit of formula. (We tried that first night home from the hospital but she would not take it.) I have an impressive stash, at least to me, of milk in the freezer. That's my security blanket. I still have nightmares that I suddenly produce no milk but even when I know haven't had my usual water intake Eleanor seems to be satisfied. I make milk. What's your superpower?

No comments: