22 October 2007

child grows, mum oblivious

Oliver has been afflicted with a nasty diaper rash for a few days. Really, really icky. Worse than anything he's ever had before. Thanks to the internets and the fact that one can fine a picture of absolutely anything, I diagnosed it yesterday as yeast and began treatment with some clotrimazole we happened to have lying around. Ahem.

Despite being a second generation "Dr Mom" I'm not as comfortable with my skills as my own mother so I took him to the doc this morning. He said to Oliver, "Your mom is really GOOD!" He gave us a script for more cream, with a little steroid chaser.

Oliver has yet to complain about this rash. His clumber-like stoicism continued when it was time for his flu shot. Barely a whimper. Tough kid. He even watched the needle go in. Not sure he's related to me.

But the biggest surprise was that he's grown 7 cm in the last six months. If I had not seen the tape measure myself I would not have believed it. (I know...I should have taken a picture.) And that was without shoes. He still fits into his 18-24 month baby gap jeans, and they fit him better now than ever. He's a 2T or 3T from the waist up so that's where most of the new-found length has landed. He not only looks like my dad, he's kind of built like him too.

For those keeping score at home, or thinking about a Christmas gift in the clothing realm, he's 90 cm and 33 lbs. We won't have to buy anything extra for our trip to Florida in January and I probably won't have to buy him any new shorts next year but he will likely have outgrown all but the largest of his summer shirts by then. It will be interesting to see if he makes it into the size 100 Hanna Andersson winter pjs I bought when we were in Maine last August.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I miss growth spurts too. I think its seeing them every day that makes it less visible. I tend to notice it most when she pulls on shorts or a skirt that used to be appropriate, and that are now way too short. Then we have to talk about why we can't wear daisy dukes to school (in different words, of course). Good job on the diagnosis -- doesn't it feel good?