12 April 2007

the news from hoo-ha land

There was interesting news at the OB today. I gained weight this week. All water, I suspect, as my hands, feet, and legs are swelling. The baby is estimated to be more than 7.5 pounds but less than 8. (I think I liked that news best.) Unfortunately, the contractions I've had over the last week, including a monster at 4am that woke me up, have done nothing to get things closer to delivery. I'm still around 2cm dilated and about 50% effaced. The doc mentioned how uncomfortable I look and suggested that since she is on call tonight, I should ring if I want to have the baby tonight. CD's face told me he didn't find this a good suggestion.

So induction is scheduled for Monday morning. Since I have had a baby already I am disqualified from the 8pm time slot the night before. Instead, I have the pleasure of receiving a phone call between 2 and 6 am, with the expectation that I will arrive at the hospital within an hour of the call. Obviously the people who dream up these schemes do not have children. I think the only thing worse for Oliver than having someone he barely knows put him to bed is probably having someone he barely knows greet him when he wakes up in the morning. But unless this baby decides on her own that she is ready for the world before 2am on Sunday, that is exactly what is going to happen.

"Mama Cia" is going to be helping us out. Oliver does like her and her daughter Lucia, who is in his class at school, he just hasn't spent much time with her. Fortunately, he is an adaptable sort and will likely be just fine.

No comments: