02 August 2006

so much road rage, so little time

I don't understand how people commute long distances in horrid traffic every blasted day. Oliver and I took CD to the airport on Monday morning, fairly early. It was an uneventful outbound trip, just the way we like it. Coming back was an different story. It took over an hour and the bulk of that time was spent playing the stop and go game. I was reminded how easy my 10 minute commute to work is, entirely without highways. I could do with a few less lights but really, there's little to complain about.

I'm not the most calm driver under the best of circumstances. I have a low tolerance for those who ignore traffic laws, especially Pittsburgh drivers who fail to use turn signals, can't seem to decide which lane they want to be in, blow through very red lights, and insist on executing the "Pittsburgh left" at traffic lights. I yell at other drivers, though I try not to do it unless I'm alone in the car. It's not like the windows are down (too bloody hot for that) and I do try to contain my potty mouth when my little sponge is sitting in his carseat. (New word for the day is "COW!!") I fear his first full sentence will be, "Get a damn turn signal!"

Last week I was flipped off (yes, that finger, thank you very much) by a 50-something in a convertible with his very pretty, albeit mortified and gasping for air, wife. All because I threatened to proceed going straight through an intersection when the light turned green without allowing him his "Pittsburgh left". Note I said "threatened". He made his left, and nearly gave the wife whiplash in the process by putting his foot to the floor from a dead stop. Although Oliver was not in the car I decided to be amused by all this and just smiled. I thought to myself, "Eh, he'll be dead of a heart attack within five years."

If you are coming to the 'burgh I recommend waiting a good three seconds before moving if you're first in line at a light. You never know who's going to go through the red or need to make the left in front of you. I used to think Boston drivers were the worst. Pittsburgh has 'em beat by a mile. And a left.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! I understand the drive. I have a 45min to hour commute each day. It stinks! And about the "Pittsburgh left", I lived in Jersey for a year while doing some of my Masters degree, and I learned really fast about the green light situation. They must have the "Jersey left" too, because I was always cut off while trying to go straight on the green light.