29 August 2006

five things to eat before you die

I happened upon this fabulous meme from Traveler's Lunchbox entirely by accident, but it was a very happy accident. The only thing I like as much as parent blogs are food blogs. Sometimes I think I like the food blogs even better...so here goes with my list.

1. Cream Tea in London - no skimping on the clotted cream, or anything else
2. An authentic salt bagel with a thin layer of cream cheese, thin slices of perfectly ripe tomato and fresh basil leaves
3. Macaroni and cheese made from the recipe in New Basics, topped with Penzey's India Special Extra Bold black pepper - my arteries clog at the mere thought but what a way to go
4. Lobster, outdoors, in Maine - butter optional, corn on the cob required, preferably picked about the time the pot of water was put on to boil
5. The best hamburger, medium-rare and topped with sauteed mushrooms and Swiss cheese, with perfectly crispy fries and Heinz ketchup

Now that I've made my list, I have to admit there are quite a few surprises. First and foremost, where the hell is the chocolate? Mushrooms barely squeaked onto the list. I've often said if I had to go to a desert island and bring only one food it would be mushrooms. Sushi is another notable absentee. I've been dreaming of sushi for a few weeks now. No stilton, no croque-monsieur (something else I've been craving lately), no ice cream, no pistacios, no brownies, no nutella (off a spoon straight out of the jar, or on a McVitie's digestive biscuit), no roasted garlic or crispy thin crust pizza, no peanut butter or bananas, no orange-cranberry anything. So depressing to have to leave out so much.

I may have to get more specific later on, like "five nuts to eat before you die" or "five Ben & Jerry's flavors to eat before you die".

Needless to say, naming just five was a little painful.

Your turn.

3 comments:

Sam said...

have you got some English genes?
Sounds like a bit of an Anglophile bent to me.

Unknown said...

The (nearly entirely) Southwest PA Version

Ice cream (your choice) at Sarris Candies & Ice Cream Parlor with milk chocolate hard cap topping, Canonsburg, PA

Buffalo Wings at Drovers, Wellsburg, WVA

Rustic Italian bread (bonus: topped with Amish butter) from Delallos Market, Jeannette PA

Rooibos Tea, MITea (online, www.mitea.com or at Joe’s, Chicago, IL)

Anything off the fall/Thanksgiving menu at The Prince of Wales, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, Canada

Unknown said...

PS: 'anything creative' = T.S.