23 October 2006

let the demolition begin

Things are moving very, very fast with the new house. Closing has been moved up three weeks to NEXT TUESDAY. We met with the architect today to go over designs for the new kitchen. Remarkably, no marital disputes required mediation. We were able to settle on a layout we both like a lot. The cost makes us both wince but it just means a few other other things, like new windows and enlarging the door to the patio, will probably have to wait a few years. We should have a "not-to-exceed" estimate by the end of the week but it's already clear the bathroom plans will be scaled back. That's okay. I spend more time in the kitchen than the bathroom.

In a stroke of brilliance on the part of the architect, by sacrificing a few feet of the huge living room, I can get back the hall closet that was sacrificed for the kitchen, not to mention custom built-ins for the dog crates. CD isn't so sure about this but I like it. He is also giving me a peninsula and an island. I never expected to get both. The final touch is the window. We will lose one window but expand the other to about 5 feet in width. It will give a view of the backyard from the front door, something I also never expected.

We chose some cabinets and narrowed the choices for flooring. I had some ideas about appliances but we'll look at the store the architect likes and see if there are other options we should consider. There will also be counter tops, lighting, storage configurations, sinks, faucets, etc. to choose. All the choices are a bit overwhelming. I have spent too much time on the HGTV website, mostly looking at things I don't like, but occasionally finding the perfect thing. For example, I was adamant about flush cabinets. No panels, no beadboard, no trim. Perfectly flat. Nothing to collect dust! Both CD and the architect tested my resolve but both came around by the time we finished today.

The only downside in all this is it will probably take three months to complete. We probably won't be moving until February. At that point, I'll be too huge to be very helpful. Pity the poor movers.

I have scheduled the radon mitigation installation and the pest treatment for next Friday. I still need to schedule the awning removal and the roof repairs. Still waiting for the fence estimate. And despite the snow flakes that fell for over two hours today (but did not stick on the ground), I am going to attempt to relocate my daylilies as soon as we close. I won't have the front shrubs removed yet, so that could be a problem.

Are we having fun yet?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Research has shown that people are actually unhappier when they have more choices, not happier. If you have read any of the posts I wrote over the summer you know I just had my kitchen done, so I experienced on a small scale what you are going through. It's really hard to make all those choices! That was really smart about the flat cabinets with no dust collectors; I never even would have thought of that.