17 November 2008

cold feet

Eleanor has been a champion sleeper for a while, only occasionally having a few days or a week here and there when she wakes up in the night. We've been in one of those phases. If I go in a vicious cycle begins. She will not let me put her back in the crib. She will let CD, but not me. I am better off just leaving her to work it out on her own. She gets back to sleep a lot sooner if I do, painful as it is to listen to her scream. With CD away again, I was worried about what might happen last night.

Since it is suddenly cold again, and she'd just had a bath, I thought it might be time to try the Sleep Sack again. We used it last winter when she was a baby but she's bigger now and has been sleeping with a regular blanket, one that is never covering her when she wakes up. It seemed like a reasonable strategy.

I hesitate to say this out loud but it appears to have worked. She slept a little more than 12 hours and didn't make a peep the whole time. The only problem is the two sleep sacks I have are 18-24 month sized, 25-35 pounds. They fit, but probably won't make it past December. I hope they make the fleecy ones in bigger sizes.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

ooh a sleep sack, that's a good idea! Maggie kicks her blankets practically across the room at night, so they're basically worthless to her. She did sleep better last night though!

What is up with babies right now?? THEY NEED TO SLEEP!!!

Jami Fitch - Cumberland County SWCD said...

I think Halo makes sleep sacks up to 3T, so you should be able to find one to fit little Miss E.

KG said...

I had no idea they made those sleep sack things that big.

My kid loathes the covers and doesn't ever want anything (including socks) on his feet. It makes Granilla crazed because she's old school and convinced that if his feet are bare, he'll "catch a cold." I still don't quite understand this reasoning, but anyway, I always tell her to leave him alone. If he wants icicle feet? Hey, he can have them. Why not?

Anyway, I think if I put the sleep sack on him he'd go into some kind of fury.